Sunday 6 March 2016

Unforgettable- The Welsh Quilt Centre 2016 exhibition

On Saturday, the Welsh Quilt Centre's 2016 exhibition opened.  Tied in with this was an exhibition by one of my favourite local artists - Valeriane Leblond.  I buy her calender every year, and treat myself by not peeking at it in advance so I get a beautiful surprise every month.  The pictures of hers that I love the most are the ones done in conjunction with the quilt centre.  To tie in with the annual exhibition, she has painted a series of pictures featuring the exhibited antique quilts.  Her work is very popular, and has always sold out quickly.  This year, I highlighted the date in my diary, visited on opening day... and am soon to be the proud owner of some original artwork! I'm so excited!
I didn't photograph any of the paintings, and I only had my phone to take pictures of the quilts, so they're not the greatest quality.  This quilt is the one featured in my painting.
I'm always surprised by how bold and bright the colours are in the antique quilts.  I would associate them more with the 1980s than the 1880s!





In the second gallery are a series of cot quilts had quilted by Sandie Lush.  They really do not photograph well, but are absolutely beautiful in real life.  I think these were made for exhibition, but would be an heirloom to treasure if made for a baby.  Most of the quilts are whole-cloth in plain fabric, which deservedly allows the quilting to take all the attention.  I also liked the ones with pretty borders. 



Sandie will be running a workshop at the quilt centre in September, and I have signed up straight away!  I love having something to look forward to.

No comments:

Post a Comment