Sunday 27 March 2016

Spring on the building plot

I know I have mentioned it before, but I am so lucky to have an excellent local sewing shop- Aberdashery.  It's not a very big shop, but it is choc-a-bloc full, and almost always has what I've been looking for.  Many a quilting emergency has been saved by the lovely Jane.

Until recently, my 2016 challenge to finish more things than I started was going quite well.  Then the fabric started calling me again!  This gorgeous little Construction strip roll by Fabric Freedom just begged to be bought. I try to resist the ubiquitous pink and blue gender stereotyping in children's products, and originally thought that the little vehicles were tractors, so planned to give it to my farming niece.  However, when I unrolled the fabric I saw that they were diggers. I forgot that machinery is also subject to the colour police - tractors are red, diggers are yellow! Fortunately my little nephew is a huge Bob the builder fan, so I didn't need to look far for a new recipient.
There are just five fabrics in the roll, each repeated four times.  I felt that another yellow fabric was needed to balance it out, so bought this gingham to co-ordinate. 

I wanted the quilt to feel fresh and modern, and toyed with the idea of solid white.  I think it would have looked gorgeous, but not very practical for a gift for a toddler.  I settled on this pale blue instead, and now I can't imagine any other choice.


I followed the Summer in the Park tutorial from Missouri Star Quilt company to make the blocks.  Having never used a pre-cut before, I was so impressed how zippy-quick it went together.  In a couple of afternoons I made 42 blocks, which are 8" squares (7 1/2" finished).

A 6x7 layout would measure 45 x 52.5", which is a generous cuddle quilt, but not quite big enough for a single bed.  As my nephew is only three, I felt that a smaller size would be better, so have two quilts - 5x6 blocks, measuring 37.5" x 45" and a 9x9 layout measuring 67.5" square. I laid the blocks out differently in the two quilt tops.

The smaller quilt top is not finished, and I might add a border.

I wanted the fabrics to be the star of the show (and also wanted it finished quickly), so I chose to stitch in the ditch with my walking foot.  I quilted all the horizontal and vertical seams as well as the main diagonals.  It isn't a lot of quilting, so I hope it's robust enough to withstand toddler use.

There wasn't a suitable green fabric in the shop for binding, so I bought bias binding off the roll.  I won't use it again.  It's too narrow for a quilt, so was a battle to get it on neatly.  I do love the colour though.


I really love the bright cheery spring colours.  I don't think adding in the extra yellow was necessary, but it wasn't a bad choice either. Perhaps because making this quilt tied in with some gorgeous sunny weather, I really love this.

Here is the total list of materials used.
1 Fabric freedom strippers roll (1.25m of fabric)
25cm of yellow gingham
2m of solid blue (there is some left over)
4.5m of pre-made bias binding
1.5m of fleece
A whole 250m reel of thread!

No comments:

Post a Comment