It's using Lewis and Irene Down by the River fabrics. This fabric line is so pretty, but I felt it needed a little lift so I teamed it with yellow (Bella solids Buttercup 9900.51)
I had bought the fabrics with the intention of following this shannon fabrics pattern. However after using that pattern for the Safari Scribbles Quilt I thought I would try something different.
Lewis and Irene do produce patterns to go with their fabric ranges, but I felt that the suggestions for this range were too fussy and didn't show the fabrics to their best. In the end I decided to follow this pattern, with the slight adaptation of omitting the half square triangles. Because of this change I was able to strip piece the four patches, and the quilt top went together like a dream. Cutting and piecing was all accomplished in one rainy weekend. The other deviation from the pattern was to add a narrow border. This was added to separate the quilt top from the binding as I was using the same fabric in both. So it has a 2" strip of teal from my stash which I hope picks up the blue of the kingfishers and finishes off the quilt.
Although Aberystwyth now has two newly opened fabric shops, they both are in the fledgling stages and there isn't a great range of stock yet. I couldn't find a suitable cotton to use as backing, so am using fleece.
It is the first time I have used minkee. I was suprised how different it is to fleece. Although it's lovely and soft, it's very thin, and has a right and wrong side. It will need a wadding as well to give the quilt weight and make it snuggly. This does cancel out one of the benefits of fleece in my opinion.
We took the quilt out for photography on a sunny, but very cold and windy late Autumn day. Unfortunately it fell in a muddy puddle early on, so is slightly grubbier than I'd like in the photos. The upside is that I have seen how well it stands up to washing!
Here are the photos...