Thursday 26 March 2015

Crayola washable felt pens.

I have tried all sorts of things to mark my quilting fabrics and found advantages and disadvantages to them all.
This is a review of Crayola Supertips Washable markers. I got mine in WHSmith for £5.99. Other cheaper brands are available, but I can't comment on how washable they really are, and compared to the price of fabric, it's a bargain.
I like that these come in plenty of colours, so will stand out on almost any colour or pattern. I like that because it is a felt pen, it marks the fabric easily and accurately, but the line is quite thick. 
I used these pens to mark the quilting lines on C and R's quilt. The markings were in place for several months before I put the quilt through a cold wash after it was finished. All the marks washed out perfectly.
Here I have marked a piece of white 100% cotton.

Here is the back to prove I didn't use a light touch with the pens.
The instructions on the pack say to use a hot wash, but that isn't realistic for most quilting projects. I put this sample in at 40C with my normal laundry. This very unexciting photo shows that all the markings washed out completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment