Sunday 7 December 2014

Summer bed quilt

Not one to be put off by the technical difficulties I experienced with the cushion cover, the next sewing project I started was a double bed quilt. It is made of 9-patch squares set on point, with wide sashing in between. I think it shows very well how a simple pattern can show off the fabrics.

The pattern came from a library book. The quilt is called 9 patch strippy, I didn't write down the name of the book but it was something like "Easy quilts to make in a weekend". I took about two years.

The 9-patches were hand sewn, but by the time I reached the triangles and sashing I had a sewing machine.

The 9-patches and sashing are made of cotton batiks from John Lewis' summer collection (2004).  They were very good value. The setting triangles and the back are made of quilting cottons, and cost significantly more.

I quilted it on my little domestic sewing machine without a walking foot. It was a beast of a job. My squares weren't exactly square in the first place, and my quilting emphasises this.

Despite the many technical failures in this quilt I love it. I love the jewelly colours that cheer me up every time the sun shines on them. I love that it keeps me warm, I love that it makes making the bed less of a chore, but mostly I love that I made it.

No comments:

Post a Comment