Wednesday 31 December 2014

Eskimo kisses

I made these two complementary quilts for my brother and his fiancee. The fabulous penguin prints are from the eskimo kiss range by timeless treasures. For the second quilt, the main fabric is the very pretty tree print. I wanted wintery fabrics to add to the snuggliness, but not Christmas fabrics which would mean they were only used for a month at most. Although these two fabrics don't go together because the patterns are such different styles, the colours coordinate perfectly.
To tie the two quilts together, I planned to use the same secondary prints between the feature fabrics with a mix of blues, greens and greys in a random layout.  Here is my first layout.

It was alright, but despite all the individual fabrics being lovely, the overall effect was a bit drab. After arranging and rearranging, I came to the conclusion that more white was needed to lift it.

Here are the two finished quilt tops. I think that simpler layouts let the patterns in the fabrics take centre stage, and also it was quick and easy.   I swapped a few squares from one quilt to the other to tie them together.

I backed the quilts with lovely super soft and snuggly fleece.  It really added to the wintery feeling, as the living room looked like it had been hit by the weather bomb, and I resembled a snowman! Green and blue fluff everywhere.

For the quilting I did simple stitch in the ditch. To get the quilting lines to disappear, you need to be accurate to a fraction of a millimeter. Since I took quilting lessons last year, I have spent a lot more time sewing, and while practice hasn't quite made perfect, I am a lot closer.


No comments:

Post a Comment