Monday 21 April 2014

The beginning

Here is the very first patchwork item I ever made. As you can see, it is looking a little tired now.  This is partly because it has sat on my sofa for around ten years, and partly because my seams were more than a little dodgy. Being sat on and washed regularly has hastened its demise.

It's made using cotton shirt material, and I took the inspiration for the pattern from here.
When I made it, I could fit all my sewing equipment into a plastic sandwich tub.  I cut all the pieces out with scissors, and hand sewed them together. As i didn't know what i was doing, I did the piecing as though it was machine sewn, and pressed all the seams open. Not the best way to make a durable item.



Although it is technically dreadful, I still really like it.  I need to make a replacement, and I think I will do something in the same style.  I'm sure I could do a much better job with the knowledge and equipment I have accumulated. For the squares I would rotary cut, and machine sew. For the stars, I would try English paper piecing.

Some friends of mine also had a new beginning recently.  I have sent them this super-cute card that I found in a local bookshop. You slide the tab to change the picture.


No comments:

Post a Comment