Thursday 15 January 2015

Stormy seas

As I hide inside, snug and warm from the shrieking wind, inevitably I think back to last year's storms. This time last year, Aberystwyth hit the news when the seafront promenade took a beating. A few miles up the coast, Borth also suffered. Borth usually is a popular family beach- miles of gently sloping sand and shingle. Last year's storms though left this:

Some very topographical looking mud!

This isn't any old mud though, it's actually ancient peat. Further down the beach there is the remains of a petrified forest. Usually there are just a few slimy treestumps covered in seaweed, but after the storms a magical land was revealed. There is an interesting article and some beautiful photos on the national geographic website.


Conveniently for me, it was around this time that I finished my stormy seas quilt. A perfect opportunity to visit a local attraction, and photograph my quilt on location!

I love the modern simplicity of this quilt, but oh my goodness, it was bo-o-o-o-ring to make. Cutting, ironing, sewing strip after strip after strip. I will not be doing this again.

No comments:

Post a Comment