Sunday 26 July 2015

Evening stars

The reverse side of C & R's quilt features evening stars in three sizes- 6", 12" and 18". Using this as inspiration I drew the layout on graph paper and numbered the stars so I knew how many of each size to make. After all the stars had been made I took over the living room to design the quilt. I don't have a wall big enough to lay out this design. I try to get a balance across the quilt of the colour values. As well as staring at it a lot, I took photos on my ipad, which helps to get more perspective. Converting the photos to black and white helps to identify areas that stand out.

After I had decided the final layout, I labelled every star on the floor, and on the graph paper. See the little white tabs? This meant I could sort the stars into piles, and had a key to follow, releasing the living room to normal use while I sewed them together.

No comments:

Post a Comment